City of San Benito
Tue, 09 Jan 2018 09:37:05 -0600
Job Title: Waste Water Plant Operator
Department: Waste Water Plant
Reports To: Waste Water Plant Supervisor
Operates sewage treatment, sludge processing, and disposal equipment in the wastewater (sewage) treatment plant to control flow and processing of sewage.
Duties include, but not limited to, the following:
• Monitors control panels and adjusts valves and gates manually or by remote control to regulate flow of sewage.
• Observes variations in operating conditions and interprets meter and gauge readings and tests results to determine load requirements.
• Starts and stops pumps, engines, and generators to control flow of raw sewage through filtering, settling, aeration, and sludge digestion processes.
• Maintains log of operations and records meter and gauge readings.
• Collects sewage sample and conducts laboratory tests.
• Operates and maintains power generating equipment to provide steam and electricity for plant.
• Perform routine equipment maintenance and minor field repairs such as lubrication, checking fluid levels and replacing belts and other components as required.
• Perform work in accordance with all federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations and within mandated and appropriate safety standards.
• Maintain and promote excellent relations and communications with co-workers. This includes sharing the workload to maintain balance. This may include helping to train and orient new employees in acquiring skills in department policies and procedures, and department functions.
• Perform all duties in accordance with all City of San Benito safety policies and other applicable state or federal regulations.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• High School diploma or GED, ability to write routine reports and correspondence, ability to add and subtract, ability of apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
• Current Texas Driver’s license.
• Must have or be able to obtain TCEQ licensing within one (1) year of employment if not currently licensed. This position will require additional certifications as required by TCEQ.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL CAPABILITIES
• Physical strength and ability sufficient to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods under dirty and uncomfortable conditions and in all kinds of weather. Heavy labor is defined, for example, as frequently exerting force sufficient to lift approximately 85 pounds and move or maneuver 100 pounds.
• Ability to maintain continuous physical effort throughout the shift, including frequent bending, walking, stooping, digging, manipulating and heavy lifting.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Must be able to communicate and write clearly and legibly in entries, as-built documentation, and required reporting forms.
• Flexibility to respond to emergency 24-hour shift requirements, whether it is on stand-by or on-call duty.
• Must be able to effectively use a combination of experience, training and ability to quickly assess situations and arrive at decisions (appropriate with employees training and experience) to ensure efficient and effective continuation of work and customer service delivery that avoids service interruptions or creates hazardous conditions.
• Must be able to use required tools and equipment effectively and efficiently to perform required tasks in a crew environment or independently. Must be able to use various system monitoring components and other system indicators to assess proper operations and diagnose problems.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position of employment requires satisfactory job performance of six month probation from starting date. This position requires State of Texas (TCEQ) licensing.
This employee must pass all licensing requirements to successfully complete his/her employment expectations.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the City’s demands change so will the essential functions of this position.
City of San Benito
Website : http://www.cityofsanbenito.com/