Water Distribution Operator Iii
Golden State Water Company is one of the largest investor-owned water utilities in the United States. We have been all about water for more than 80 years. Our team of professionals delivers reliable, quality water and great service to customers in 75 communities across California.
POSITION DEFINITION: Water Distribution Operator III
The Water Distribution Operator III may be a Designated Shift Operator per California State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) definition and works under the general direction of the Water Distribution Superintendent or Operations Superintendent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- May perform shift operator duties as defined by the SWRCB.
- Performs intermediate to advanced water distribution system operation and maintenance activities, included but not limited to the installation, modification and repair of water distribution equipment and facilities.
- Isolates equipment and system malfunctions and takes corrective action.
- Familiar with large meters and their settings.
- Familiar with Automatic Meter Reading
- Assists with Capital Budget Programs related to aged meter replacements, valve and fire hydrant replacement and other minor improvement projects.
- Participates in field checks and pre-construction meetings and activities related to capital and major maintenance projects.
- May be assigned to maintain inventory and order all materials required to support water distribution system maintenance and operations activities.
- Understands water distribution system operation and maintenance practices including but not limited to pipeline disinfection procedures, system flushing strategies, valve and fire hydrant maintenance practices.
- Trains and guides other Water Distribution Operators.
- May perform Customer Care & Billing operations.
- Prepares daily logs and reports on work performed.
- Available for emergency response, 24 hours/day, seven days/week.
- Must reside within 25 miles of the nearest water system boundary where assigned in order to respond to emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Three years as a Water Distribution Operator II or five years as a Water Distribution Operator in the water utility industry.
- SWRCB Grade 3 Water Distribution certification required.
- SWRCB Grade 1 Water Treatment certification preferred.
- Valid California Driver’s license or applicable commercial truck driver’s license.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
May include working in all weather conditions, during all hours of the day. Physical demands include but are not limited to standing, climbing, walking, lifting, bending, pulling and/or pushing, grasping, reaching, stooping and crouching, sitting, typing, walking, reading, writing, color determination, speaking and listening for extended periods of time.
Qualities of a Successful Distribution Operator III
- Trustworthy; strong personal integrity
- Demonstrates strong level of accountability and ownership
- Collaborative/Team oriented
- Emotional Maturity
- Exhibits professionalism with internal and external customers
- Organized with strong attention to detail and time managementskills
- High degree of initiative; self-starter